Sunday, August 11, 2019

Reflecting on Barcelona

July 6, 2019

I returned back to the United States about a week ago and I have had plenty of time to reflect on my exchange in Barcelona. Looking back on the trip, I learned lots of important lessons and experienced many new situations. It was my first time ever traveling alone with no one else that I knew and at first that was a scary thought to me. I did encounter many set backs on my journey there and back, but once I arrived in Barcelona I felt like I could do anything because I had managed to survive a 6 hour and 8 hour flight by myself. I felt a little uncomfortable during my first couple of days which I imagine is normal because I was living with a family who I had never met before. But towards the end of my trip, I started really feeling like a part of their family. They really cared about how I was doing and if I was having fun or not.

I noticed that living in a completely new place does not only affect the way I now see the world but my personality and who I am. There are so many factors that go into my familiar life at home but during exchange, almost all those factors are totally changed. In Spain I had different parents, ate different food, had different living accommodations and a different city to explore. Throughout this trip, I started to change. All these outside factors that I had little control over where affecting me in different ways. I had to learn how to deal with new things such as eating dinner really late. I started to see another side of me and I realized that my personality is composed of many things. My emotions and actions are influenced by my lifestyle and physical location. I believe that when my exchange student comes to visit that it will be a completely new experience for both of us because we will both be different people because of the new physical factors influencing us and our actions. 

Lastly, I really owe this entire experience to my parents and teachers. My parents encouraged me to do exchange as they both participated in it during their time in college and high school. My teachers, Spanish in particular, taught me so much and allowed me to be comfortable using a new language in a foreign country. I would also like to thank my host family for making this an unforgettable experience!

La Sagrada Familia

View from the Plane

Farewell Dinner with Laia



No comments:

Post a Comment