Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Barcelona: Adventure Always Awaits!

June 22, 2019
I am about halfway through my trip to Barcelona and a lot has happened since I got here, but my trip started off with a very unfortunate event! The day I arrived, I met my family and they were so nice and patient with me. The customs line took about one hour and 15 minutes to get through and they waited the entire time. I felt very welcomed into their home and family. The following day, Laia and I went on an adventure and visited numerous places around the city one of which included the biggest park in Barcelona. Just after we had taken a row boat out in the pond, we sat down in the shade. I looked to the left of me five minutes later and noticed my bag had dissapeared. That day turned into a wild goose chase. Someone had taken my backpack and neither Laia or I noticed. We spent hours looking around the park and walking in big circles checking every bush and trash can. We had no luck. Inside my bad where two jackets, a pair of shorts, a hat, my water bottle, my debit card, and lots of euros. It took a while for it to sink in that I would not have those things for the entirety of my trip. I immediately called my mom and told her what had happened and made sure that she canceled my debit card. Laia’s parents even met us at the park and helped us look around for the bag. After two hours of looking, no food, and a bottle of water, we drove to the police station across town. There we reported to the police what had been stolen and who to contact if found. This was quite the experience for me. I had to use my Spanish speaking knowledge to communicate with a policeman and it was a challenge. The family and I knew that there was a very little chance that my bag would be returned but we knew that we at least had to try and find it. Since I lost my only jacket, they were so nice and took me to a shopping mall and bought me a new one so that I would not get cold the rest of the trip. Even though this incident may have not been the best way to start out my trip, it really displayed how caring and nice my family is here and how much they are willing to help me out. I also had the chance to experience a part of living in Barcelona that I would have otherwise not encountered if my bag had not gotten stolen.

The first couple of days were hard, not only because I felt the insecurity of getting robbed, but also that I had to adapt to an entirely new lifestyle. I missed my family a lot. I was always hungry and I had lots of trouble going to bed, but each day was really fun! After about five days, my body was fully adjusted to how late we ate lunch and dinner and went to bed. I noticed that here in Spain, people eat a lot of bread and grains rather than fruits and vegetables. Very rarely do they serve salads at home or in restaurants. Barcelona is also a city full of people and they are from everywhere around the world. We have had the chance to visit numerous placed around the city such as the various neighborhoods, her school Sagrada Corazón Diputació, and the Sagrada Familia. They also took me to the Camp Nou stadium where the Barcelona Men’s Soccer Team plays and we got to take a tour and go on the field. I have been having lots of fun trying new food and visiting pretty parks and beaches all around the city. They took me up the north coast to Cadaqués which is a cute beach town with a strip of restaurants. I really enjoyed our time there and all the pretty views. I am very excited to see what the rest of this trip has in store!
Passeig de Lluís Companys

 Cadaqués Beach Town


First Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment