Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Au Revoir Bondues

Even though my exchange experience ended 2 weeks ago, I still remember all the memories I made with Sarah, my exchange host, my host family, Sarah’s friends and classmates, and constantly hearing French everywhere I go. For my final week in Bondues, I experienced a little bit of a French student’s summer vacation. Sarah and her mom took me to Brussels, Belgium, which is an hour drive from Bondues. I’d never been to Belgium before so being in a new country was exciting. I still heard French around me, and I was able to taste mussels and french fries, or moules frites, which is well known in Belgium. I also tried the famous Belgian waffle! On another day, I traveled around Lille with Sarah while she was running a few errands. We took the train to Lille and went to the hair salon, the mall, and had tea time with Sarah’s grandmother. It was a great day being able to experience everyday things that I would do in California but see it in a different country as if I were a local.

I’m extremely thankful for being able to have such an amazing experience with kind and caring people. For three weeks, I experienced so many cultural differences. I’m so glad that I had the chance to go to Sarah’s school as well! I feel that I was able to learn many casual French phrases and live like a local. It’s really interesting to be excited to run errands on exchange than when at home. I hope that my French cultural and lingual exchange will help me in the future when visiting France again!

                                                          The Atomium in Belgium


No comments:

Post a Comment