Monday, June 24, 2019

Reflecting on My Time in Bondues

        It has been about a week since I left Bondues. Leaving was a difficult adjustment because I had become accustomed to Elise's lifestyle, her school, her family, her friends, hearing mainly French, and being around her all the time. I could not believe that our two weeks together flew by so fast. It was truly an enriching and memorable experience. Not only did I form a close bond with another high schooler and family five thousand miles away, but I formed a close bond with her life and culture. I got a glimpse of the kind of foods, beverages, music, television, and pastimes Elise, her friends, and her family enjoy. I also saw in person a few parts of French culture that I learned about in French class, such as the customary double-cheek kiss and a two-hour lunch period. I was rarely homesick, and I was eager to learn more about France as well as her life. By hearing, speaking, and sometimes thinking in French, my speaking and understanding of French flourished without me realizing it.
        I am so grateful for all of the support and kindness I received on my exchange. This was my first time in a foreign country without my parents, so I was a bit nervous at the beginning. I soon realized that there was nothing to be worried about. I met Elise's exchange coordinator on my first day of school. She assured me that I could come to her if I needed anything and checked in with me weekly. Elise's teachers were very kind and accommodating as they wrapped up the school year.  Though Elise's friends and classmates barely knew me, they always made an effort to include me and get to know me. I am very grateful that I had Sophia by my side, as she made all of the new experiences less nerve-wracking. I also became close friends with Sophia's exchange student, Sarah. We became especially close in France when she told me more about herself and her culture. We bonded over fashion and a shared sense of humor. Elise's mother, step-father, sisters, and step-sister enthusiastically welcomed me into their home, family, and country. They treated me like their own daughter/sister and were committed to making sure that I was comfortable and happy. I saw her other relatives, grandmother, and father less often, but they were just as friendly and accepting. They went out of their way to make sure I was included. Though Elise and I were very close and I knew a lot about her when I first arrived in France, I knew little about her lifestyle. She seamlessly integrated me into her close-knit family and friend groups as well as her day-to-day life. I already miss our exchange greatly. I talk to her every day through social media and text. I sincerely hope that I will have the opportunity to see her again in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment